Working while you study in Australia can help complement your study and living experience. There are a number of reasons you might want to undertake part-time work while studying in Australia, including assisting with living expenses and gaining work experience in your study area.
Most student visas allow you to work for up to 40 hours every two weeks while your course is in session, and unrestricted hours during any scheduled course break, but before you undertake any paid work you need to make sure your visa allows you to work. Find out more at the Department of Home Affairs website.
You should understand:
Australian wages are comparatively high, your salary as a full-time student will not nearly be enough to cover your tuition fees or completely offset your living costs.
Before applying for a job:
- Open an Australian bank account.
- Apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) from the Australian Taxation Office to ensure that you are not taxed at a high rate
- Get to know your employment rights
Where you can find work:
How to find work?
- Start with creating CV and polishing it. Make sure you don’t have the errors in it and it’s easy to read.
- Explore the stores nearby, ask managers if they are looking for staff, leave your resume.
- Also, check out online the job platforms such as: http://www.seek.com.au/ , http://mycareer.com.au/ , http://www.careerone.com.au/ , http://www.theloop.com.au/
- Look for facebook groups, there are plenty of them with hot vacancies.
- Check the boards at your university or college. Also, contact your institution’s international student support staff to find out what options your institution offers.
- Jobs are also advertised in daily state and local newspapers, whilst service sector jobs can sometimes even be advertised by a sign in a shop or café window
What about the wages?
The minimum wage is currently $18.29 per hour. This is the minimum regardless of whether you’re working full- or part-time, a student or otherwise, an international or domestic student.
We are always happy to help our students with landing a job that they will enjoy and get useful knowledge. Feel free to ask us for detailed information.